How to Protect Your Pet When the Temperature is Below Freezing?
No one can escape from those cold weather temperatures, even pets too. As a human being, we can protect ourselves from the changing weather, but the pets cannot. Here are the most important tips to consider for your little loved companion during the cold weather:
- Keep your pet inside. Leaving him outside can freeze to death.
- Don’t leave your dog off the chain on snow or ice, particularly during the snowstorm. Doing this can make the dog to lose its scent. Usually, most of the dogs get lost during the winter than any other season, so it is essential to wear dog ID tags.
- Even the dog roams outside in the snow, thoroughly wipe its legs once it comes inside. There is a possibility of ingestion of salt, antifreeze and some other dangerous chemical when it licks the paws. Sometimes, its paw pads may bleed from ice.
- Avoid shaving your pet until the skin is visible, especially during the winter. When the pet’s skin covers with its fur, it keeps your pet warm.
- When the pet has bath in cold weather conditions, make sure to wipe the pet until it gets completely dry before leaving the pet outside.
- For cats and dogs with short hair, make sure to buy a coat or sweater to protect him from the warmth.
- Avoid leaving your pet alone in the car in the cold climate. During the winter months, car can act as a refrigerator as it can catch the cold very easily. This makes your pet to freeze and lead to death.
- Keep small pets totally inside the house during cold period as they cannot tolerate with cold climate like an adult pet.
- Avoid animals from antifreeze as it can be fatal.
- If you have a pet that likes to spend more time outside, then make sure that it gets enough protein in its diet as it can keep the pet’s fur in good condition to tolerate with the changing weather conditions.
- Make sure that your little companion has comfortable and warm place to sleep. Consider buying animal bedding that is especially made for cold weather conditions.
- As the water can easily freeze during winter months, make sure to give warm drinking water to your pet or plan to buy a heater for your pet’s drinking bowl.
- If you have owned indoor pets like reptile or tropical fish, then make sure the water is at good temperature level. Adjust your room temperature so that the pets don’t get chilled.