Before knowing how to stop dog from licking paws, a dog owner should first be aware as to why dogs lick their paws.
Licking their paws is a natural instinct for a dog. It may also happen when a dog is suffering from skin allergies. Allergy is caused by many reasons like insecticide, pesticide, grass etc.
There are some mental factors that can cause a dog to lick its paws. When the dog is alone, or is seeking something, or trying to go somewhere but cannot go, he is seen to do such an act. If it is involved in some activity or the other all the time, the tendency of licking paws decreases.
Know how to stop dog from licking paws
- If a dog licks its paw because it suffers from allergies, it is important to identify the actual type or cause of the allergy.
- Dogs can be given pain killers for relief and is recommended highly in serious cases. Antidepressants may also help, but it is not a good option always. As these medications have different effects on different dogs, consulting with a vet is the best option.
- Interacting with the dog constantly, will make it feel that it is important to the family and will thereby increase its self esteem and indirectly help in a psychological way to get rid of the problem.
- If the dog is happy, it will be easy to teach the dog any command or trick. It will be well trained and will avoid acts like, itching or licking paws.
- Mental and physical exercises are of good help. It also keeps the dog healthy and increases its abilities.
- Pet owners should make their dogs play with other dogs and with interesting toys.
- A massage is a very good technique. It gives a good feeling to the dog. It helps in producing various neurotransmitters by stimulating the brain of the dog. Massage should be done in every part of the body. It also makes shoulders and muscles of a dog grow.
While talking about how to stop dogs from licking their paws, it is not enough to know only about the things that are to be done. It is equally important to know about the things that are not to be done:
- It is better to avoid drugs of infection or allergy as those may work for a short period of time and they also have side effects. These medicines may make the dog feel depressed or make it suffer from low self esteem.
- Putting bitter substances on the paw or bandaging it has adverse effects. The dog gets irritated by it. It may encourage the dog to lick that area more, instead of discouraging.