How to Stop Dachshund from Biting Children?
As dachshunds are smaller dogs, most dog owners might feel that biting is harmless and playful. But, the biting can lead to more violent behavior when the dogs and humans are one place, especially children.
Even it is the playful behavior;dachshunds use biting as a way of saying the pack dominance. As the owner of the dog, you should be the dominant one in the association with the dog. If your dachshund has biting behavior, you can easily teach it to stop that behavior when it is below 6 months age. However, it is probable to train the dachshund by using some methods irrespective of its age.
Tips to control the dog biting behavior:
- The most important thing is to stop the dog playing games that encourage biting like play fighting and tug of war.
- Also it is very essential to set the rules for your dachshund and make it understand that you are the leader. Once you start showing your leadership position, your pet automatically stops biting.
- If you don’t stop your pet from biting in the first six months of their life, they may continue to bite until they reach 2 or 3 years.
- If your dachshund is older and you are unable to control its biting behavior, then you can seek the help of a professional dog trainer. They are the expert in handling situations like this and keep the dachshund biting under control.
- Don’t play rough games with your pet like tug of war and wrestling because these games can boost biting behavior.